Technical search engine optimisation recommendation
Creating great content is key to an SEO strategy.
However, if you neglect the technical side of delivering your content, you are creating unnecessary barriers for yourself.
Technical SEO encompasses the "behind the scenes" elements of an SEO strategy that speaks directly to search algorithms.
However, there are a few things to tweak when building a technical SEO strategy. For many business owners, it can be beneficial to hire a technical SEO consultant to handle the nuances for you.
6 Ways A Technical SEO Consultant Can Help Your Business Grow
Regardless of what type of service you hire, your end goal is to grow your business.
Hiring a technical SEO consultant is no different, and you should go into the relationship with the expectation of results.
A technical SEO consultant optimizes both your website and your content so that you give users the best experience possible, communicate effectively with search algorithms, and ultimately get a better ranking for your target keywords.
At a high level, the services they provide should lead to:
- More traffic – As your website and content get better optimized, you will inevitably rank better on certain keywords. In some cases, you can enter the first page and even the top 5 search results, which is where the bulk of your traffic goes. You will also see more people sticking to your website considering your products as they optimize aspects like page speed and mobile friendliness.
- More customers – With an increase in traffic and higher rankings for targeted keywords, you will see an increase in customers. As a result, technical SEO can be directly linked to increasing revenue.
To achieve these business results, technical SEO consultants will dig deep into your SEO strategy and uncover elements of your strategy that are currently holding you back. "
Here are some of the elements that will optimize them:
1) Page load time
How fast your website loads is a key element of your SEO strategy – both from the perspective of a user and from the perspective of search algorithms.
For example, if your page takes 4 seconds or more to load, the majority of users will click away, resulting in higher bounce rates.
What this means for the search engines is that your website will have a poor user experience, which will cause you to rank less on the SERPS (Search Engine Results) pages.
A technical SEO consultant will look for things like image size, broken code, and other elements on the page that can make the page slow to load.
2) Design optimization
Images and layout are important to make a website more user-friendly and attractive. Imagine coming to a website that is just a wall of text – you will likely click on it.
Dwell time – the time a user spends on your website – is a key metric that search algorithms look for. Better, more attractive design increases the likelihood that people will stay and navigate your website.
A technical SEO consultant will ensure that your website is easy to navigate and has an attractive design. They also ensure that your images are optimized for the search engine with appropriate names and alternative attributes.
3) Mobile responsiveness
As web traffic becomes more mobile, a responsive website has become an important element in ranking website search algorithms.
This means that your website needs to be responsive in the sense that no matter what device the user is using, they can see your website in an appropriate manner.
A technical SEO consultant probably won't be able to make your website responsive as this is a job for your developers and designers.
However, you can point out sites that are not as mobile-friendly.
4) meta tag information
Each website contains information that summarizes what the website is about for both the user and search engines. This information is contained in the website's meta tag (usually at the top of a website's code). It includes elements like:
- Description – This is the brief snippet of information people see in search engines before they click on your website. A technical SEO consultant will help you write descriptions that will increase your click through rate while being relevant to your keyword.
- Title – This is the name of the content or page. A title with the keyword that you are ranking for is an important part of technical search engine optimization.
- Robot day – The robots tag tells search engines how and whether to crawl (index) your page. You don't want every page to be indexed as it can affect your rankings (for example if you have duplicate content).
5) Link optimization
Your technical SEO consultant will advise you on how links can affect or affect your SEO strategy. There are 4 main aspects of your linking strategy that will affect your results:
- Broken Links – Search engines will punish you for broken links on your website. These are usually the low hanging fruits that your technical SEO consultant will quickly clean up.
- Internal links – How your website is structured and whether your pages are linked will help you rank better in search engines. Your technical SEO consultant will help you design your website and organize your content in the best possible way.
- External links – Another important factor is having the appropriate number of external links to other credible websites with relevant information.
- Anchor text – Instead of linking the full URL, a technical SEO consultant will help you write appropriate anchor texts to replace the URL for a better user experience and context for the search algorithms.
6) Page structure
The structure of your page is another factor that technical SEO consultants will consider – especially with longer form content. Some of the factors that they will evaluate include:
- Use of headers – Headings are the easiest way to tell search engines what your page is actually about. Typically, the headers range from H1 to H3 in terms of weight and need to be tweaked with primary and secondary keywords to get the best effect.
- Selected snippets – A technical SEO consultant uses various formatting such as lists and bullets to increase the likelihood that you will appear in the snippets featured by Google. This is a feature from Google that allows users to get information about their queries without actually clicking through.
Getting started with a technical SEO consultant
When you do decide to work with a technical SEO consultant, there are four stages in which your working relationship should look like.
At the prep stage, you need to make sure that your house is in order for the technical SEO consultant to get the job done. This contains:
- Providing relevant access to your website.
- Make sure the timing is right for you to partner with a technical SEO consultant. If your business is in the early stages, it might be better to invest in other digital marketing services.
- Get to grips with the basics of technical SEO. You need an idea of the area of expertise to ensure that you can make a more informed decision when choosing a counselor.
- Set goals. You need to understand what your search strategy is trying to achieve. For example, would you like to rate certain keywords as part of a content strategy or only display them locally?
2) SEO technical audit
Once you've chosen a consultant, the first thing they should do is conduct a review of your current SEO implementation. Here are some aspects of a technical SEO audit:
- Use tools such as Ubersuggest to collect optimization points at the surface level. SEO audit tools can quickly identify things that are damaging your SEO, such as: B. broken links, 404 errors and keyword frequency.
- Evaluation of more in-depth factors such as the website structure, creation of a sitemap and deactivation or removal of irrelevant content.
- Practice user empathy by considering things that might affect the user experience, such as: B. Newsletter popups, page speed and poor navigation.
3) Technical SEO optimization
Next, your technical SEO consultant gets down to work to fix the technical issues on your website. Depending on what needs to be tweaked, you might also need to do a few things:
- You may need to completely redesign your website to be responsive or mobile-friendly.
- Your images may need to be resized to make the page load longer.
- You will likely need to go through all of your content with a fine tooth comb, keeping an eye on the little things like structure, linkage, and meta information.
Measuring the ROI of Technical SEO Consulting Services
As a business owner or marketing director, you need to be able to quantify the ROI of a technical SEO consultant.
This can be difficult as SEO technical consulting can be similar to services like design or development in the sense of creating value, but it can be difficult to measure.
However, there are a few things to keep in mind that are directly related to marketing performance:
- Better placements – Technical SEO provides a strong foundation for your content. As you tweak the technical elements of your SEO strategy, you should see your rankings increase across the board for whatever keywords you are targeting.
- More dwell time – With better page load times, website design, and structure, users should spend more time on your website. You will also find that your bounce rate – the number of people who click on your website before surfing – decreases.
- More customers – By combining these factors, you should be able to see an increase in customers over time.
Remember, technical SEO is not just a marketing activity like performance advertising. You should therefore see it as a catalyst rather than a marketing channel itself.
4 point checklist for finding the right technical SEO consultant
If you do decide to hire a technical SEO consultant, there are four things you should consider before signing a contract.
1) Client list – Take a look at the type of clients the SEO consultant has worked with in the past. Are there any notable brand names? What kind of websites do these customers have? Are there any indications of demonstrable results? Also, think about what type of SEO strategy their clients are using and whether it is related to your situation. For example, do you need to rank for high competition keywords or only compete in your city?
2) Additional services – A technical SEO consultant should be able to offer you additional services such as content marketing, analytics, and other forms of SEO. A consultant who has experience with other forms of digital marketing can help you create and implement a holistic strategy that will produce results along with technical SEO.
3) Strong team – Look for a consultant who has a strong team behind them, or see if they have an exceptional track record of their own. Years of experience are important, but in search engine optimization it is important that the consultant you are working with keep track of the new changes that are taking place every day. Search engines like Google are constantly evolving. So you need to work with someone who has their finger on the pulse.
4) Technology – A good thing to look for is whether your technical SEO consultant has built his own tech platform that he uses with his clients. Examples are Ubersuggest, SEMRush, and Moz. Not only will they benefit from their technology, but the fact that they have developed their own technology adds further credibility and shows that they have real skin in the game.
Technical SEO has many variables so it can be quite difficult for someone to do it on their own. This is especially true given that search engines like Google are constantly evolving.
In many cases, it is better to hire a technical SEO consultant who is always up to date with the latest trends so that you can optimize your website more effectively.
Also, remember that technical SEO should be done as part of a holistic SEO strategy.
As important as it is to optimize your website, great content and positive social feedback on your website are still king.